Salem Health is a not-for-profit regional health system in Oregon’s mid-Willamette Valley that includes Salem Hospital, along with West Valley Hospital, a critical-access hospital; Willamette Health Partners (medical group comprising primary-care and specialty practices), and other affiliated healthcare organizations. Salem Hospital, a Magnet®-recognized facility, is a regional referral center and one of the largest acute-care hospitals in Oregon. Our hospital is licensed for 454 acute care beds, and is guided by a 15-member volunteer Board of Trustees. The hospital is the city of Salem's largest private employer, with approximately 3,500 full and part-time employees.
Salem Hospital’s Lift Team is seeking a dynamic, experienced, team-oriented and quality focused professional to assume the role of Safe Patient Handling Specialist. The Specialist is responsible for assisting patient care providers with patient repositioning, lifting and transferring using appropriate equipment. The Specialist collaborates with care staff on assessment of patient’s physical abilities and lift planning.
• Observes all practices and precautions for patient and staff safety.
• Collaborates and communicates with patient and care staff to evaluate proper mode of patient handling, selects appropriate equipment. Identifies patient prior to patient contact.
• Observes patient support devices. Collaborates with nursing care staff to achieve safe patient handling to include all equipment, drains, and tubes.
• Trains patient care team on selection and use of patient lift equipment, appropriate slings, slip sheets and related activities.
• Cleans and maintains patient handling equipment.
Constant moving about work area, walking a level surface, use of arms/wrists, and use of manual dexterity (grasping/squeezing). Frequent standing, lifting/carrying up to 50 lbs. Occasional sitting, bending/crouching, and reaching above the shoulder. Adequate visual to read and perform transporting safely. Ability to read font size 8-10. Adequate hearing to perform transporting safely. Ability to distinguish between shades and colors. Clear audible speaking voice. High risk, probably exposure of OSHA Blood / Body Fluid.
Special Skills, Knowledge, and Ability:
• Effective problem solving skills.
• Ability to work under potentially stressful or emergent situations.
• Must have knowledge of basic patient transportation and safe patient handling procedures, infection control practices and proper body mechanics.
• Strong customer service skills are essential.
• Ability to assess patient handling situations and determine appropriate equipment, technique and assistance needed to perform the service.
• Excellent communication and customer service skills to collaborate with and train patient care staff.
• Ability to communicate in a considerate and sensitive manner with patients and families.
Salem Health is seeking candidates who demonstrate the following strengths, as defined by the Gallup Organization.
• Service: A drive to be of service to others.
• Ethics: A clear understanding of right and wrong which guides your actions.
• Responsibility: A need to assume personal accountability for your work.
• Problem Solving: An ability to think things though with incomplete data.
• Empathy: An ability to identify the feelings and perspectives of others.
• Team: A need to build feelings of mutual support.
• High school graduate, equivalent or equal-related experience required.
• Patient transport or patient care hospital experience strongly preferred.
• Must currently hold BLS Certification, or be able to obtain within 90 days of hire.
Upon date of hire, applicants will be required to complete the U.S. Department Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming authorization to work in the United States. Salem Hospital is not able to support VISA sponsorships.
In order to be considered for this position, your resume must reflect all relevant licenses, certifications, education, and experience noted in the requirements and minimum qualification sections of this job posting. Without this information, candidates cannot be considered for positions to which they may be qualified.